Not for instant gratification

Photography is not a good hobby for me. Firstly, because it is the most common hobby in the world and I don't like to be in the mainstream. Secondly, it is a demanding hobby, if you take it seriously: the equipment is expensive, you have to go out, talk to people and get their approval if you wish to shoot their portraits and then you have to sort, select and process the photos. Thirdly and most importantly - I do not think that I'm very good at it.

And yet, it is my favourite hobby. I invest a lot of money and time and I make a point to process and publish my photos. I even trained in order to be able to hold the camera steadily. Even though in order to take a photo all you need is to full-press the button, it's not about instant gratification. Infact, taking a good photo resembles a football game: the team will try several times until it scores, and often just one in ten kicks will produce a goal. In photography, it can be one out of hundred.

But I still do it. And I especially like street photography, which is considered to be one of the hardest. So why do I keep on doing it? The first reason I can think of is that when I manage to take a properly good photo, I do feel that I have accomplished something. The second reason is that I genuinely like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invisible Hands

Another Short Review: Shure SE215 IEM

So why do I like the iPhone 4